The Carfax Tower is all that remains of the 12th-century St. Martin’s Church. The church was originally the official city church of Oxford before 1122. In 1896, the church was demolished to make more room for the traffic in the area.
On the east side is a copy of the old church clock, where two mechanical “quarter boys” hit the bells to mark the passing of every “quarter” of the hour. The tower also has a ring of six bells (five of which were recast from the original ring in 1676) that are rung on special occasions by the Oxford Society of Change Ringers.
Upon climbing the 99 steps to the top, you can enjoy a birds-eye view of Oxford's skyline.
Given its central location, Carfax Tower is within walking distance of many of Oxford’s other major attractions, such as Oxford’s Covered Market, The Story Museum, and Christchurch College. It is also served by several buses, including the Park and Ride and the hop-on and hop-off City Sightseeing bus tours.